Season for Surrender  - Theresa Romain

Review from Queen of Swords Book Reviews.

WHY I DNF:

* I felt that this novel could have taken place at any time of year. The Christmas element was very tangential to the story and could have been replaced with any other kind of event.* I didn't feel the chemistry between the hero and heroine.

* The reader is repeatedly told that Lord Xavier is a scoundrel and a rake. Apparently, he likes to make weird bets with his cousin which doesn't really peg my Scoundrel-O-Meter. We are never really shown his scandalous doings so his supposed reformation lost a lot of impact. There were no prior misdeeds with which to compare his good behavior.

* I didn't buy Louisa's amazing insight into Xavier's character. After a few days of observing and interacting with him in a limited context, she knows that he's really using his rake/scoundrel image to cover up his soft creamy center. The author does show Louisa's keen observation in another context, but to me, at least in Xavier's case, it still felt like she was making assumptions instead of gaining insight. I hate when people make assumptions about my character whether they're true or not, and I really can't understand how Xavier was be okay with it.

* The plot moves along slowly. Even when things started to spice up a little bit between Louisa and Xavier, it was too late and still too slow to keep my attention.