Jane Eyre - Charlotte Brontë,  Susan Ericksen

Review from Queen of Swords Book Reviews.

LIKED:

* For a novel that is over 100 years old, Jane Eyre reads almost like a modern book. I guess that's why it's a classic.

* Jane is a well-developed character. She lays her own strengths and weaknesses out for the reader to create a very detailed picture. Although she is from a different time, I noticed many things that Jane and I had in common, and it added a nice sense of connection.

* The romance between Jane and Mr. Rochester is epic. The relationship is slow to build but explosive when they confess their feelings for one another. The obstacles in their path are many but by the Happily Ever After, you just know that it was meant to be. After all, it's a little bit of magic that facilitates their reunion.

* Even though he's a bit Alpha, I like Mr. Rochester because he does bend for Jane.

LIKED LESS:

* Although the book as a whole isn't dated, there are some elements that are. For example, there are long soliloquies, sometimes religious ones, that bored me. Also, I found the denigration of any other nation besides England to be pretty unintentionally comical.

* Parts of the book dragged a little. I think this is more a difference in style between when the book was written and now rather than a lack of writing skill.