Darkfever (Fever #1) - Karen Marie Moning

Liked:

• The world-building was excellent. I was very intrigued by the various types of Fae and sidhe-seers and the powers possessed by both.
  • Mac started out the book as a total bubblehead, but she evolves into a stronger person over the course of the book. Does she still have annoying relapses into bubbleheadedness? Yes, and they are often eyeroll-inducing. That being said, I feel like this is a more realistic trajectory of personal growth than is depicted in many urban fantasy novels. No insta-badass though I can definitely see plenty of badass potential.
  • Some urban fantasy books try to cram romance in where it doesn't make sense for the characters. This author thankfully doesn't do that. Mac is dealing with a lot and therefore romance isn't high on her priorities list. In fact, Mac herself addresses this in the narrative and it's refreshing.
  • Barrons is so secretive that you just want to slap him and he's a real jerk to Mac sometimes. Yet I understand her reasons for dealing with him. Plus, I want to find out all his secrets!
  • Mac's interactions with V'lan are fantastic and hilarious! You'll just have to read the book to discover what I'm talking about.

Liked Less:

• The author uses a storytelling device that I just plain don't like. It's 100% a personal preference. Mac often inserts "if only I'd known then what I know now" kind of stuff in her narration. I feel that sort of thing is unnecessary and sometimes interrupts the narrative flow. Your mileage may very.
  • The extensive descriptions of Mac's outfits and her preferred colors of cosmetics got a little old. I get it. She's a girly girl who likes perky colors. Let's move on, shall we?
  • The ending didn't really resolve anything. It wasn't exactly a cliffhanger but it didn't tie anything up either. Luckily, I enjoyed this book so I will be reading the next one.

Overall, Darkfever has some minor flaws but is a promising start to an urban fantasy series that I will definitely continue to read.